Friday, June 08, 2007

My So Called Life

I was reading our good friend Eli's blog today and was inspired to write a more personal, practical entry. My latest mental wrestling have been diverse and topical, but mostly on a philosophic level.

So what about life right now? Where am I, literally? What am I doing?

Well, I'm at home again. To recap: We returned to southern California in February. Kay started right back to work. I started to look for jobs and was waiting to start school in the Spring. Then, Reasons to Believe hired me on a temporary basis to help the Customer Service department. It was great because I was able to help restructure the office. And class started at Fuller. During this time I continued through the process with the jobs for which I had applied. I had a few interviews (all which I thought went quite well), but which each respectively turned me down. My class ran for two months ending a week and a half ago. As well, Reasons finalized there official hiring of a full-time person to fill the newly designed Customer Service position I was giving a test run. And they did.

So now I'm home again with no job and no class... starting over in the same place I was last February.

At first I was quite depressed and discouraged. Unfortunately, all this change has distracted me to be very career oriented (job focused), thinking that the most important thing for me first off is to get a job. Thankfully we had dinner two days ago with Ray and Mary Ellen Rood in which they knocked some sense into me (in a very kind and encouraging way).

Side Note: I've never felt like I really connected with people older than me... but I really felt understood by the Roods. They listened. They flirted. They were sarcastic about the church. They drank wine. And they asked hard questions thought provoking questions. They were my kind of people and were able to speak into my life in a way that very few elders really have before.

Anyway, for me, to be merely concerned with a job is to take away from everything else I'm trying to accomplish in my life right now. I'm back here to work through some very personal issues of belief and to prepare me to work with others doing the same. I'm in school to ask questions. And we're here to provide a home for those that need love.

And in these endeavors I'm happy to report there has been blatant steps taken forward.

My science and religion course at Fuller was very eye opening to the ways the church attempted to establish its superiority in all aspects of human knowledge - with it's obvious stubbornness and close-minded exclusivity in the scientific realm (and in which we now are working hard to remedy). Next, I'm planning to take a summer intensive on the Gospels.

And our home... we have had consistent activity in our home that keeps us busy but confirms that we are in a needed place for those seeking an accepting, listening ear. Every Monday, we have a couple friends that just drop by to process life, church, God and relationships. And last night we had a very lonely friend come by and pour himself out to us. I'm not one to know much about the presence of God, but it was one of the most moving and meaningful evenings for all three of us in a very long time! (Maybe it helped that we'd had good wine for dinner and even better Limoncello for dessert!)

So there's a bit more about daily life for you.

2 Comments:

At 7:27 PM , Blogger Camaschick said...

Ray and Mary-Ellen are THOSE kinds of people. . .They always have THOSE kinds of questions! They LOVED visiting with you two! I'm so glad you did!
I just finished the BEST book. . please read it so we can talk. . .The Faith Club. It's about three women (muslim, jew and christian who become friends.. true story. . really makes one think!)

 
At 8:39 AM , Blogger leesh said...

thanks pierre for the update!

i have an idea for you during this transition. you can set up your own little retreat center. come up with some sorta french sounding name that'll impress folks. collect some thought provoking books. sip wine or more limoncello, if theres any left. toil in the garden. hike a few local foothills. does this all sound familar? cause i think you have the great opprotunity to recreate your experience all over again just in a southern california way.

(hi kay)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home