Saturday, November 17, 2007

Christians & Divorce

The sad state is that on many issues, Christians are no example for a lonely world seeking hope that love is real.

This is a quote from Time critiquing the latest controversy on divorce from a recent Christianity Today article.

Evangelicals define themselves as being tightly bound by scripture. But besides the humanitarian problem, there are some uncomfortable facts on the ground: The divorce rate among Evangelicals, which first became news after polls released by the Barna Research Group in 2001, has been as high or higher than the national average. The Evangelical movement has actually made tremendous accommodations given the strictures it lives under.

Here is the Time article.

Here is the original Christianity Today article. I affirm it's exegesis and application of some commonly abused scriptures. However, I'd argue his statement at the end that God "allows" divorce. I think God allows us to make our own decisions. Though divorce is not the ideal behind the design and principle of marriage, it is a decision we can make, and then we deal with whatever results/consequences it brings.

Finally, I'd be VERY interested to see a study done comparing the rate of divorce and abuse in egalitarian Christian marriages vs. complentarian Christian marriages.

5 Comments:

At 2:26 PM , Blogger Kay said...

These are interesting studies. But, I think that we need to study the root cause of this, instead of even debating as to whether God "allows" divorce. I would like to know, how do we get to this place?

 
At 10:42 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The rate is much higher in "egalitarian" marriages. I have seen a lot of research on it. When their is no clear leader, the marriage falls apart. When the man refuses to step up, and the woman refuses to encourage him to step up, the marriage fails.

 
At 1:14 PM , Blogger Pierre said...

I'd definitely be interested in seeing that research. You sound biased in your response.

 
At 9:24 PM , Blogger Jesse Malott said...

How do you do a statistically significant study regarding the differences between those two types of marriages? They are so gray that it would be difficult to have concrete scientific categories.

And yes... Luke you do sound biased.

I'm sure glad that in my marriage that Marilee knows to stay in the kitchen ; ) Just kidding, for those of you who don't know us.

 
At 2:29 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Pierre and Kay,

Haven't had some free time with a computer in months. But this topic was worth noting.

Having been divorced and remarried I have some perspective. First, I would say though in my situation, my situation would on the surface match every criteria for the Old testament grounds, I still am uneasy simply passing it off as simply the "fault" of my spouse.

It could be said that my superficial (at the time) faith, lack of leadership, or any number of faults could have contributed.

I am reminded that Paul wrote, "all things are allowed, but not all are beneficial. (paraphrased). Though it was in reference to meat sacrificed to idols, the principle is applicable. In short, the grace of Christ can cover any sin or choice - including divorce. However, even a "justified" divorce is not God's intent for marriage. Any divorce, justified or not, will lead to inevitable pain and I grieve in part the loss.

It is however tempered by the knowledge that God's plans cannot be thwarted. That he allowed my selfishness, and poor judgement in selecting a spouse with no trust in God, to run it's natural course to the inevitable crash, was also his means of breaking me and humbling me to the point where I gave him control.

All things can be used for His good. That is no excuse for opting out of a marriage casually.

God redeems all sin. All error. God clearly hates divorce and says so plainly. He allows us free will, and mercifully gives us the opportunity to remove our sins as far from the east as to the west.

I believe that if the church as a whole, would look at divorce, alcoholism, drug abuse, the same as "less disrespectable" sins, like lying, white collar crime, gossip, etc. it would reshape our world. My point is that no sin is better or worse than others. So why do many churches accept some sinners as members while holding others away?

Christ was the self proclaimed "friend of sinners". I'd prefer to be honest with myself, acknowledge my sinful nature and pull up a chair - rather than cast stones.

Hope that wasn't too long for a comment. It is a topic I'm passionate about. Anyone reading that would want to discuss, please feel free to contact me.

Josh

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home