Sunday, August 27, 2006

Does Christianity Teach Male Headship?

This is the book I just finished, compiled by Don Browning. It is a collection of essays written by experts on the matter. The book had various Biblical interpretations ranging from “the Bible does not teach male headship” to “the Bible defines specific gender roles for male headship.”

I am still putting together my own thoughts on the matter. Thus far, after reading the Bible on this topic, it seems as though many of the verses could be taken out of context. Paul was speaking to a specific culture in Ephesians. And it is not just Ephesians that reference this relationship. Each verse needs to be read within the surrounding text as well as the whole Bible understanding the point of the writing and to whom it was originally directed. We like to simply strip verses from the text and then apply them to our personal lives today. Although the Bible has truth for all ages, we need to read it in context before we pull application from it.

An approach the book speaks contrary to “male headship” is that of the “equal-regard marriage” as an approach to family relationships. I won’t force my opinion on you, but from what empirical evidence has shown me, this seems to be the dual servant-like position that the Bible speaks of. Think about the fact that so many Christian marriages fail. One possible reason for this might be that we are living by a standard that wasn’t meant to be played out in male headship. I try to play out “my role” (I’m mocking the idea of roles) as wife the same regardless of what either interpretation suggests. There is something to what Christ has called men not necessarily the exalted Christ figure, but to the servant that Christ played here on earth, in which he sacrificed his being for those he loved.

If you’re curious, it is actually my husband’s approach that has made me think. I am thankful that he values my thoughts, insight, leadership (yes, I said leadership), love, and respect. I also value all of those things about him. I enjoy being a partner in all ways of life with him. It is my goal to serve him above myself, and he puts me before himself. So, I guess the whole male headship thing is not an issue for us…but wrestling is! ☺

3 Comments:

At 1:14 PM , Blogger dave said...

So basically you are saying that you hate Micah's cooking, right?

Good thoughts on how one needs to understand scripture. I wrote a long post about it here.

Hope everything is going well...

 
At 7:29 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kay,

That sounds like a very interesting book that you went through. I would also agree that I need Janna's leadership in our marriage for it to feel "right". I have also found that people place so much emphasis on the passage about women "submitting" (Janna actually laughed during our wedding ceremony when she talked about submitting to me). Many in the church either forget the next verse, which talks about men loving their wives like Christ loved the church and being willing to die daily for her. Interesting thoughts. I miss Micah.

 
At 11:30 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hannah:

Here is a short list of the books that have been helpful to me on this issue (and believe me, I've read many!):

Men & Women in Ministry, by Sarah Sumner

Discovering Gender Equality, edited by Ronald Pierce (one of my old Talbot profs -- Aren't you impressed?)

Lost Women of the Bible, by Carolyn Custis James (I'm reading this one right now and LOVE it. Totally, totally different than anything you've ever read and completely practical!)

Trinity and Subordinationism, by Kevin Giles (This is a devastating critique of the argument that headship is rooted in the Trinity.)

Krista

P.S. I miss you!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home