Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Labels

Labels toward people have always bothered me. I think it's because they strip a person of individuality, personality and allow the labeler to stand at an uncaring distance. Some labels, of course, are more hurtful than others depending on the level of closeness they suggest between the labeled and the labeler. These are three examples I've heard recently that inspired this post and that really bother me.

Fag - When I heard this recently, it bothered me most because it was said by someone I love, but was used as an insult and clearly suggested hostility toward those of a homosexual preference. Regardless of what your thoughts are on homsexuality, to speak of gays (or lesbians) in such a loveless manner seems to point out insecurity, inexperience, an inability to reach out, and a heartless bend.

Midget - I've heard this a couple times in a couple settings recently. Have you ever talked with a little person? Next time you see someone of short stature, ask him or her if they like being called "midget." (Oddly, even children these days get called "little man" or "little lady" but we don't give a real little person the same dignity. For shame!)

Mexican - Let me explain this one. I'm not talking about having a conversation of one's ethnic heritage. I'm talking about referring to someone who speaks Spanish or is obviously of Latino/a descent being called a Mexican. EVEN IF that person is of Mexican descent or is from Mexico (and that's assuming the person actually is Mexican) unless the conversation is directly revolving around ethnic heritage, how about giving the person a little more identity, like THEIR NAME, and/or their association with you (coworker, friend, etc).

Thankfully, hearing these types of careless labels is a good reminder to the way I talk of those around me, too. It challenges me to actually look into who a person really is and speak of them as such with more care than merely giving them a label.

1 Comments:

At 4:58 PM , Blogger Camaschick said...

So interesting to read your thoughts on that. . I've been coming across and thinking about that issue a lot lately myself. Have you ever heard or read anything by Richard Rohr? He's a catholic priest and he is AWESOME. He talks about how in western society we are trained to be very dualistic in our thinking, IE (Gay or Straight) he says the mark of true incarnational christinity and contemplative living is living above "labels". . we'll have to talk about this sometime. . I have notes from a radio broadcast he did. . when are we doing lunch?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home