Thursday, March 06, 2008

Needing to be Right

I think joy and sweetness and affection are a spiritual path. We're here to know God, to love and serve God, and to be blown away by the beauty and miracle of nature. You just have to get rid of so much baggage to be light enough to dance, to sing, to play. You don't have time to carry grudges; you don't have time to cling to the need to be right.
-author Anne Lamott

I just read this quote from a Sojourners email that was taken out of a recent interview with Anne Lamott in the Washington Times, and the last sentence is what has been grabbing me. I feel that there are so many things in life that I honestly do not have to be right in, but why do I hang so tightly to those few things in which I do need to be right in? Is that okay, is it not okay?

2 Comments:

At 10:56 AM , Blogger Camaschick said...

I love Anne. . . but I LIKE to be right! :) It IS a really thought provoking quote, letting go of being right, or defending myself (ideas, thoughts, beliefs etc.) seems to come from being so content and confident that I'm not threatened by ideas and thoughts that are different or challenge me. . . and of course a willingness to let go of those when the time comes as well. . . So much easier said than done. . .Something else to wrestle with. . KAY!!!

 
At 10:01 PM , Blogger lizzydew said...

Hm... no, I'm pretty sure I'm just right all the time.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home