Thursday, January 03, 2008

Rose Parade

Kay's parents were in town this past week. We went to the Rose parade, and had great seats. We then came home to watch USC crush Illinois. Ouch! What Pierre and I found to be very interesting was that as soon as the police brought up the end of the parade, some Christians thought it would be a good idea to hold large signs in the street saying:

"Ask me why you are going to hell"
"God hates sin"
"Warning All: fornicators, adulterers, sodomites, witches, abortionist, murderers, drunkards, liars, atheists, hypocrites(you get the point) hell awaits you."
"God throws sin and the sinner into hell."



The Illinois fans in front of us laughed when they saw the "God hates sin" and then one gentleman looked at us and translated the sign into saying "Jesus hates you." I cringed.

The other depressing thing that we saw following the parade was the trash that was all over the streets. I was baffled that people would think that the beautiful Pasadena streets were their trash can. Ugh.




But, all was not lost, because it was an enjoyable time to be able to see something up close, first-hand, with the parents and Pierre that I have watched on TV my whole life. Some of my favorites, were the bands from Japan, who rocked, and the cute little Zurich Police band who wore their dull grey uniforms and played very Swiss-German music followed by the Oktoberfest float.


7 Comments:

At 6:28 AM , Blogger dave said...

"Ask me why you are going to hell"

So did you ask them why you were going to hell? That would have been fun.

We used to engage with the lunatic street preacher down in Santa Monica - that was an interesting experience...

 
At 1:05 AM , Blogger big al said...

id you ask them "why are you going to hell?" that would have been fun.

 
At 1:07 AM , Blogger big al said...

or "why you are going to hell?" that would have been better.

 
At 11:09 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Or, just twist their words around and say "Hell. You are going! Ask me Why!" I'm sure they would umderstand the concept of twisting someone else's words.

 
At 2:38 PM , Blogger Kay said...

No, I did not engage the bull-horned men. I thought it might be an experience, but I did not think I could keep a straight face.

 
At 12:15 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG me and Miriam were totally there too! Did you guys camp out? We totally did and I don't know if I think it was worth it :/ But it was quite an enjoyable experience!

And about all those signs...talk about devastating. I was so angry when I saw them...I just can't believe sometimes what people will do. I just don't think you can save people like that...with judgment and guilt...it didn't show Christ's love. I was kind of yelling at them...but I was wasting my breath. I guess you just have to hope that Christ overcomes all that. There were some other groups there that were doing a much better job...the Dreamcenter and Jews for Jesus...I appreciated them.

 
At 10:51 PM , Blogger Kay said...

No, Valerie, we bought tickets for the parade. I like sleeping too much.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home