Thursday, April 03, 2008

Who Shot Mr. Burns, Part I

One of my all time favorite episodes of the Simpsons is Who Shot Mr. Burns, Part I. In the episode, Mr. Burns makes enemies with almost every major character. At the very end, he is shot behind city hall in the shadows by an unknown assailant. He stumbles back around the corner into view of the camera, clutching his chest as blood trickles down. Jimbo, one of the high-school stoners is standing there and exclaims, "Hey man, are you ok?" Mr. Burns faltering and gasping for air replies, "Not... gonna... dignify that... with response..." and then collapses.

That's become a favorite line of mine to mimic. It's a great comical response to obvious and unnecessary questions.

Here's what I'm thinking about. At some point years ago, I heard someone expound that when humans pray, God always answers. But of course, in our human experience, we don't always see the answer. To explain those instances when it appears God doesn't respond it was justified that sometimes God says "yes," sometimes God says "no," and sometimes God says "wait"... as in, apparently you still have a lesson to learn before God says yes or no.

Well, Kay and I were talking about prayer and the joke came up of God gasping out, "Not... gonna... dignify that... with response..." And the more I thought about it, the more I actually think it works. I've heard a lot of prayers in my life (and requests for prayers) that were obvious and unnecessary. Worse, I've heard a lot of prayers that were self-centered and superficial. I don't see reason to believe God would dignify them with response.

You could argue that I'm just negatively reimagining God answering no. "No answer is still a no answer." But what signifies an obvious no from God? Is it just that what you pray for doesn't happen? "Well, I didn't get it, so obviously God didn't want me to have it." Or, are you praying about something in which God won't intervene or have part? Would God have part of you living for yourself? Would God have part of something you do that hurts others, especially if it drives them away from a confidence in the Christ? I don't think God would. So maybe you could stretch it and say that you are receiving a divine no. Or maybe you're praying about something in which God won't have part... that he won't dignify with response.

What do you think?

P.S. Who Shot Mr. Burns, Part II is the sleuthing to uncover what actually happened and who it really was that shot him. (Part I is funnier)

3 Comments:

At 10:26 PM , Blogger Kay said...

Thank you, Buddy W., for beginning this stimulating conversation today.

 
At 10:19 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This definitely warrants more discussion than what the comment board allows.

My take is that prayer is spending time with God, not so much asking Him for things. I too get fed up with the "Yes", "No", "wait", theory of God answering prayers. That assumes that we are just asking Him for things. What type of relationship is that if we just use it to get things or to advance our own selfish desires masked in "God's Will for my life".

Prayer, in my opinion, is being quiet before the Lord, learning to hear and sense His desires and direction, and following that lead. That might be too Henry Blackaby an answer, but I feel it is definitely part of the equation.

I say we discuss this over BBQ at Laura and mine's house on Labor Day. What do you think?

Love you guys.

 
At 8:34 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

That was the best post I have seen from anyone, ever! Opening with a Simpsons analogy, artfully transitioning to a theological discussion - well done!!

Um, but about the questions you raised, I have very similar ones. Kay, I can't remember if you read this at L'Abri or not but it's a book called Providence and Prayer. It's really good, I think. I got about half way through. I was to the point where he had completely deconstructed every idea I had about prayer. So much so that during prayer days when it was my half hour turn, I didn't feel I could "pray" anything. I just tried to be silent and focus on God and the nature around me.

Like I said, I unfortunately never got to finish it so I have no answers. (If I had, I would be taking you to prayer SCHOOL right now! ha!)

Well...I agree with Tex, let's talk about it in August. ;)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home