Thursday, May 29, 2008

An All New Low

Last night I hit an all new low...

A good friend was over and the three of us were sitting around our kitchen table talking. The conversation was on one of the typical subjects about which I can get passionately excited, and consequently long-winded. Anyone who knows me knows what I'm talking about. It's how I can get when talking about community, marriage, sex, travel, good food, etc.

Anyway, it hit me at one point that I had been talking without break for a few minutes. I paused and acknowledged to Kay and our friend that I was aware I was beginning to ramble. I gave them permission to interrupt at any point. You see, I am aware of my tendency to ramble and don't really want to be perceived as a "talker," or "preachy," or any other descriptor associated with long monologues.

I started reminiscing a conversation I had recently had with my brother. He had called to ask me a question and I had gotten incredibly long-winded in my response. It eventually came to my attention in that conversation and so I had apologized for dominating the conversation. I didn't want to dialogue in that manner.

At this point, though, I had gone into great detail about the conversation with my brother, so much so, that I actually forgot why I started telling it in the first place.

Kay jumped in to help me reconnect the points. "Your rambling," she reminded me of the earlier conversation.

However, I heard, "You're rambling."

"I know, I know, but what was I talking about that this connected with?" I replied.

They both lost it. They were laughing so hard. It wasn't until Kay reclarified for me that I understood what was so funny. "No, you were telling the story as an example of when you ramble."

Wow! I actually rambled about rambling and lost my own train of thought in the whole confusing process. That is a new low for me.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 12:52 PM , Blogger amy said...

ok i am laughing out loud about this story Micah...you're just a detail person...:)
Miss you both!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home