Sunday, May 11, 2008

Belizean Shores

We just returned from a fantastic vacation away in Belize. Here's a few images to tantalize the senses.

We were on the island Ambergris Caye so we had to fly in on the local airline, Tropic Air. This is the airstrip. (Only single prop. planes)


The island is long and thin and has the second largest barrier reef in the world about a half mile out creating a calm water channel right up the coast. So, all transportation up and down the island is conducted by boat.


Because of the barrier reef and tourism, the waters are extremely protected. Beaches aren't allowed to be cleared of grasses so they aren't ideal for swimming. Thus most hotels and resorts have nice pools. Here's one glimpse of the pool where we were.


Belize is at the southwest end of the Yucatan peninsula and is ripe with Mayan ruins. This is the Xunantunich archaelogical site on the Belize/Guatemala border.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 7:10 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm SO jealous!!! I've wanted to dive in the blue hole off of the coast of Belize for FOREVER!! I even have the lonelyplanet's guide to belize on my counter right now. Can't wait to hear more about it.

 
At 7:13 PM , Blogger Camaschick said...

It looks amazing!!! Welcome Home!

 
At 10:31 PM , Blogger Child of God said...

Is this a joke? when did you do this? I didn't even notice you were out on vacation. I am truly pathetic.

 
At 9:26 PM , Blogger Kay said...

April 30th through May 7th! If one is at all interested, (Adrienne), you have to put it on your places to visit.

 
At 6:29 AM , Blogger Jasie said...

Looks beautiful, maybe I need to add it to my 'someday I'll see this' list.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home