Thursday, September 11, 2008

Politically Wary

In light of the last 8 years of presidency, I have become politically wary of the tie between politics and religious beliefs (in a supposed government that separates politics and religion - which in reality is impossible). This finds relevance in the latest popular obsession of Sarah Palin's conservative Christianity.

I'm not convinced politicians really have appropriate grounds in appealing to their Christian tradition as means for their decision making. First of all, what real Bible training do most politicians have? This calls into question their interpretation. Not that the lay reader can't simply read the Bible and derive personal meaning from it. I do believe they can. However, to claim it as an influential tool in making decisions that impact millions of people and run one of the most powerful countries in the world is downright foolish. The Bible is an incredibly difficult text. It should not be used as a decision-making tool for someone who doesn't carefully study its context and contemporary application.

Second, I've seen the way conservative Christians run my church, manage my coworkers, treat my neighbors... and frankly, I just don't trust them. To have another conservative Christian running my government scares me.

Third, religious practice is the farthest things from important at this point in our nation's history. I'm more concerned with our economy, home mortgages, dependence on depleting energy resources, education, and foreign policy. What help is being ultra pro-life on those matters?!

To base an argument that Sarah Palin is the best choice for VICE president based on her conservative christian faith and the fact that she makes decisions in light of her beliefs (as a recent news article, with multiple interviews of her staff and personal relations reported) seems ludicrous. I have no reason to trust her biblical interpretation for making valid decisions and influencing her political leanings. She walks a party line just like everyone else, despite her religious leanings. It's a personal choice, not a religious compulsion.

To vote for her simply as a politician... it's worth considering. To vote for her as a Christian politician... NO WAY!

5 Comments:

At 2:20 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Take your ball and go home then.

 
At 12:19 AM , Blogger Pierre said...

I'm not sure I understand the comment, but it has made me think. So, thanks.

Christianity is not a ball I'm trying to keep to myself. I'm not even sure I own that ball.

I get weary of the excessive time spent focusing on the moral and religious positions of the candidates. We can get that info from data sheets. I want to know the candidates' plans. They want to lead? I want to know what they intend to do.

I want to know McCain's plan for the war. I want to know what Obama is going to do about energy needs. I want to know how Palin and Biden fit into these plans.

I don't need to know what kind of church Palin goes to or that Biden carries around rosary beads. I don't care that Obama doesn't agree with his pastor (we're not voting on the pastor). And I actually appreciate that McCain avoids talking about religious matters.

So, again, on the basis that Palin is a good, wholesome, traditional, American evangelical Christian... I wouldn't vote for her. On the basis that she's a qualified leader behind McCain with a plan that I'd support, I'd consider it.

But that I have yet to see.

 
At 2:42 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

To say that a politician cannot trust the Bible for decisions because they haven't "studied" it is a bit of a stretch. In fact you may have not meant it, but you came off very arrogant as to infer that you have studied the bible enough and know how complicated it is and that others can't or shouldn't make decisions because of their lack of knowledge or "training".

Also, to say that because of a few "conservatives" at your church you now don't trust any of them is very judgemental. I'd be much more willing to trust people that I understand and know how they feel about everything (as most conservatives are easy to read)even if I don't agree with them on everything, than have a moderate or liberal Christian that is constantly changing their point of view as things change around them.

Just a thought...

Having a title that is "Ready to Grow" would lead me to believe that you can function on the Internet or in a society with others that you may not understand or agree with. I saw the post you deleted and it is sad that after some good points were raised you didn't even respond to them.

 
At 11:24 PM , Blogger Pierre said...

Thank you for your thoughts Ron. I really appreciate the feedback.

My philosophy on blogging is more of a way for family and friends to keep in touch with life and thoughts when we're not together. It's not a medium I'm interested in using to argue with strangers.

However, your point is quite valid because I don't do a good job of thinking how it comes off sounding as written word. And that post likely would have been read as looking for an argument.

So, moving forward, I'll work on representing myself in a way that is more consistent with what I'm wanting to be right now... ready to grow, to learn, to ask questions, to entertain ideas, to think, to laugh, to have adventures, to hurt... all with my friends, my family, and my community.

 
At 2:35 PM , Blogger Hannah said...

hi micah! it's been awhile...i enjoy catching up with your blog now and then. liked this post a lot. i have felt similarly about this issue. That's just great if the candidates claim to be Christians, but what information does that give us in any way in how they will lead? It's quite impossible to have any idea what beliefs they really hold anyway or how those will affect their decisions as leaders. we ought to be more concerned with what actions they plan to take if elected, because that's what's it's about. That's where we all show what we believe anyway, in our lives, day to day, the choices we make. i'd trust a do-er of the Word more than someone that merely claims association.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home